24 April 2013

My Fantasy Tavern

Not necessarily famous or a tavern

Less than an hour from Famous Jim's...

In the town of Coatesville,

With a interesting parking lot

and plenty of views...

Is The Whip Tavern

Not so big

But snug...

and warm.



Like the best taverns are.


 Tucked in.

A real tavern is hard to find.  Make no mistake about it. In a world of hyped up ersatz with insipid beer and food owned by mysterious LLCs, it only seems right to celebrate finding something real. I stumbled on The Whip in Coatesville, PA and remember it being praised by Andy of The Main Line Sportsman.   Sitting in a corner by a fire I wondered what it is about a good tavern that sets it apart from a bar.

A roaring fire helps but there's more.  There's serenity in the horsey art. Familiarity in simple wooden stools. Softness in the light -- I almost feel like I'm being tucked in.  I can sit here and look off into space forever sipping a pint rather than guzzling.  Not that I like drinkinig alone but friends in a good tavern are a distraction.  I might miss some navel gazing insight of self awareness as I relax with myself.

A tavern has a lot in common with an English pub. It's really not the place for martinis or cosmopolitans or the attitude those cocktails come with.  Whenever I'm in a good country tavern...I like to think of myself as a farmer. Not a big farm.  Something small and about a mile away.  I have two pints and walk home... careful to  keep a distance from passing carriages.  Gravel crunches under my boots as I take out a pocket watch and figure the walk'll take a half hour or so. I put the watch back in my overalls, shove my hands in pockets and breathe in the honeysuckle of Chester County.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be a gentleman farmer.

The thing I like about taverns over bars is the low, beamed ceiling many cozy ones have. Though somehow never claustrophobic.

-DB

M.Lane said...

TREMENDOUS post. I'm going there. And I agree completely about the essence of a tavern.

ML

Anonymous said...

I would REALLY like to see YOU in overalls!!! DMW

Ben said...

This makes me realize I've never been to a real tavern. Doom on you, Tintin.

Anonymous said...

there are some beautiful taverns out in Chester County. Some nice old taverns and Inns also up in the northern part of Bucks County too.

brohammas said...

Huh. When I imagine being a farmer it includes milking cows every day of my life at an unreasonable hour, stacking hay bales, running a combine, complaining with the neighbor about the seasons and comoddity speculation...

Not a great dream.

KSB said...

Famous Jim's looks like a place where hope goes to die.

Anonymous said...

The Whip looks like may kind of "joint". Any other gastronomical recommendations located between D.C. and Easton, PA (where my daughter will be a first year at Lafayette College in the fall)?

Anonymous said...

...but do they serve "racks of Rocks?"

Makaga said...

Remind me to tell you the story of the RR's SOE hood ornament. I was just at the family's estate and saw some of the additional artwork.

Julia said...

I like the quiet calm of these places. You can listen in on conversations, or have one of your own in a normal voice. And, the quiet is usually self-regulated by the patrons. Like libraries used to be.