28 May 2012

"Let me tell you something, my friend -- Being a fat narcissist isn't easy."


Not many have seen the movie produced by Blake Edwards starring Jackie Gleason, Steve McQueen and Tuesday Weld. Fewer still have the read the book by William Goldman. I saw the movie 10 or more years ago. It'll make a rock cry. I ordered the book tonight. A character study of the early '60s peace time Army. Gleason is magical as a wheeler-dealer supply master sergeant and mentor to ambitious buck sergeant, Steve McQueen. It's solid gold.

8 comments:

H.R. said...

Yeah, don't think I'm going to take any more of your movie recs for awhile.

tintin said...

I'm gonna do tshirts with that quote.

HR said...

You could sell them at Barney's Coop. JUST LIKE TAAVO.

Anonymous said...

caboose a little loose, buttercup?

tintin said...

HR- I lack a basic business sense. This one is no where near as bad as that other one. Although, time runs out but then it always does in a film.

Anonymous said...

"You got to lay into it, Maxwell."

Said just as she bends over to place the ball on the tee...

-DB

Unknown said...

I actually owned a VHS copy of this. It has one of the best fight scenes ever. Plus the score was Mancini. "You're the only one who drinks stout Lanahan!"

Julia said...

I like Trad movies and will check this out. Should be able to lure it in with interlibrary loan.