12 October 2010

Exploring NYC: The Manhattan Vintage Clothing Show















I'm not above buying used clothes. Some of my favorite acquisitions have come from thrift stores and consignment shops not to mention the mother lode of Ivy that is the midtown Episcopal church.

Last weekend I paid my $2o and hit the Manhattan Vintage Clothing Show in Chelsea. I still think like a 10 year old. I get an idea in my head of what a place, an event or a person will look like and I'm always surprised when it doesn't come out the way I thought. I suppose I should be surprised if it ever did.

I'm thinking this place is gonna be crammed with double breasted suits from the '30s, WWII khaki trousers, '60s era Gant and Sero button downs and maybe a Savile Row suit or smoking jacket or two. Hidden from the masses but uncovered by my Clint Eastwood squint. And all for a song-- plus a modest profit for the vendor. This is New York City after all.

Yep, this is New York City. And the vendors certainly appreciated that.

My first clue the fantasy wasn't on track was the vendor selling a Louis Vuitton trunk for $10,000. His pitch? It makes a great coffee table. "$10,000 for a coffee table?" I ask. "It's an investment!" He tells me. I move on not knowing he's one of the few vendors who'll acknowledge my presence much less move from their cramped booth while they eat their lunches, bitch about no one buying or continue to adjust their goods in manic bursts of coffee fueled Simon Doonan imitations.

$300 for two yards of batik fabric ("it's coming back"). $80 for a Spec 4's Class A uniform jacket from the '70s (usually found, though why one would ever go looking is beyond me, for $10). A plethora of '80s Herme's ties strangely priced at $60. No matter who the vendor. A Brooks Brothers button down with a hole worn through the collar for $32.

Overpriced. Unfriendly. Tight quarters. Even I knew that about New York when I was 10.

13 comments:

Belle de Ville said...

Yes, but come on. You want the Playboy shoes, don't you.

Anonymous said...

I like the cricket jacket, though... what size was it?

Fatfriend.

tintin said...

Belle- If those shoes could talk...

Fatfriend- 40 R. Not in the greatest shape. Hornets (seen here: http://www.hornetskensington.co.uk/Hornets_Kensington/Our_Stock.html)
has tons of 'em. Probably cheaper as well.

Oyster Guy said...

The greatest difficulty about being a collector or connoisseur of something is having to deal with so many people with...hmmm, shall we say..."personality quirks"...

Patsy said...

So, how much were the Playboy shoes?

those tricks said...

Generally, whenever I find myself in a vintage shop, I think, "Hmmm this is the $2 stuff I find in thrift stores marked up 500%."
pass.
But vintage shops are good for the person who does not have the time to sort through thrift stores, I suppose?

Alice Olive said...

A cricket jacket! Wouldn't that have been largely unappreciated by an American buyer?

I note there was a sign saying no photography...

tintin said...

Oyster Guy- Most insightful.

Patsy - I uh, I didn't ask. They had ADG's name written all over 'em.

Those Tricks- Valid point. Although there was as much crap here as there is at any Salvation Army.

Alive- 'Blazers' are very popular here in the states. You're gonna be seeing a lotta knocked off ones this Spring. RL's Rugby's already been it at for years.

What sign?

Alice Olive said...

Heh. Yep, I try not to see those signs either.

Main Line Sportsman said...

Vintage often translates to over overpriced crap..but you salvaged the day w/ fries and champagne..

Giuseppe said...

You know what....

never mind, I'll be nice and bite my tongue.

F said...

I'm not surprised that the people and prices were as you described.

What I am surprised by is thrift stores charging boutique prices. There's a lovely Harris tweed at one of my local thrifts, but they're asking 75 bucks for it. I told them it was overpriced; in fact, the nice old lady I was talking with was of the impression it was $20 (which is reasonable for my area).

Someone really needs to get a clue at those places.

Family Man said...

Tintin,

That last post was me.

Family Man