29 June 2010

First Blazer Buttons

Do you ever forget your first?

It was a warm September night in Philadelphia 25 years ago when I saw these buttons in a shop window somewhere on Spruce St. The Echo X-ray and I were on our second date when I hit the brakes and pointed out the buttons to her. She surprised me with them three months later for Christmas. They have done time on three navy blazers between then and now.

Made by Holland & Sherry, they're battered and chipped and are now waiting for a patch pocket blazer for Fall. They remind me of that night in September when we were young and free and going to eat Chinese.

15 comments:

M.Lane said...

Battered and chipped but still elegant. Just about the way to go through it, no?

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

Main Line Sportsman said...

Adding your own buttons to a Blazer is a class move...these are fine examples...

Anonymous said...

I'm so far behind.

I'm so busy trying to remember where I stashed the buttons that fell off, so I can make sure they match later on, that I never thought to simply add my own.

Of course I may just use nothing but antler buttons again.... or maybe turqouis.

heavy tweed jacket said...

The dings make them even better. P e r s o n a l i t y. Just about the best blazer buttons I have ever seen.

JRS said...

I really like those. A lot.

Whoa Nellie said...

"Echo X-Ray"... Gotta love it! I may have a new substitute for my term--"my worst wife."

I enjoy your blog.

bjsgirl said...

I HAVE A BOX OF THE #51 CLASSIC GILT (SHANK) BUTTONS, DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO RESEARCH IF I WANT TO SELL. HOW DO I FIND INFORMATION?

bjsgirl said...

how can I find information on my box of buttons? they are #51 classic gilt (shank)/ any help would be greatly appreciated

tintin said...

If you'll email me a pic of front & back, I'll see what I can dig up.

bjsgirl said...

thanks, will do as soon as I get kids fed

bjsgirl said...

have an extra child for today, will be late this afternoon before I can send pics. They are in their original box. on front says #51 classic gilt (shank)

tintin said...

Is there a name on the back of the button?

bjsgirl said...

All I see is - but a little longer,

bjsgirl said...

and it kinda looks like an indian horse in flight, the kind you would see on an indian cave wall. Looks pretty neat. tried to take pictures, camera wouldn't give good image

bjsgirl said...

my daughter says my buttons have image of an antelope.....