08 April 2010

A Man's Movie: Looking For Richard

Al Pacino as Richard III

Frederic Kimball and Al Pacino

Kevin Spacey as Buckingham

"If we think words are things and, and we have no feelings in our words then we say things to each other that don't mean anything. But, if we felt what we said - we'd say less and mean more. Panhandler

"The music - literally - I mean the music and the thoughts and the concepts and the feelings have not been divorced from the words and in England you've had centuries when words are totally divorced from truth." Vanessa Redgrave

"Irony is really only hyprocrisy with style." Barbara Everett



"In the midst of these noble concepts, these treaties and these diplomatic pacts, he was saying, the truth beneath all this is absolutely the opposite. The truth is that those in power have total contempt for everything they promise, everything they pledge and that's what [Richard III] is about. Vanessa Redgrave

Shot over four years and paid for by Pacino, Looking for Richard is a documentary and a play. Searching for simple understanding of the pentameter and the very complicated truth. Mostly it's a story of language and what it meant then and now. Just a few years before this film was released in 1996, I was having a political argument with a brother in law. I told him to look up 'liberal' and 'conservative' in the dictionary and tell me which one he wanted to be. He told me, "Life's not the dictionary." It is here.

8 comments:

Toad said...

This is without a doubt my favorite Shakespeare movie. from beginning to end it sings with villany. Thanks for the great post.

Anonymous said...

Tintin,
Great doc/movie. I've probably seen it five times. Good pick. D

tintin said...

Toad- "I am so far in blood, that sin will pluck on sin." Dick Cheeny 2002

D- A long fave of mine too. Only a year or so ago was it released on DVD but I had to buy it as part of a set. You can rent it alone on Netflix or be Mercury, set feathers to thy heels and fly like thought from thee to Blockbuster.

Laguna Beach Fogey said...

"Al Pacino as Richard III"

Am I the only one who finds these words hilarious?

Toby Wollin said...

I have always found it totally nuts that the actor who did this got his Academy Award for saying 'Hoo-ah" and dancing the tango.

tintin said...

LBT- You should watch it. You might be surprised.

Toby- Based on the histy of the AAs, I'm not sure they really mean anything.

Karena said...

I have not seen this and it sounds wonderful, so glad to find you, now I will!

Karena
Art by Karena

I have a fascinating interview with artist Robert Anders up on my site.

BESTSITE said...

Write more, that all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know what your talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

성인야설
대딸방
마사지
건전마사지
바카라사이트