19 June 2009

The Friday Belt - Cava & Crew

Spanish Cava & J Crew

A Cava Clue

Here's the deal. I'm on the road. Who knows where I'll be by the time you read this -- but it is not gonna be around the Gulf Foxtrot-- which is a good thing. She'd knock the crap outta me if she could reach me. A week ago I heard about this Cava or sparkler that was getting some amazing word of mouth in the city. With the current economy, everyone's looking for a good deal. I've been looking for a good deal since I could walk.

So I'd like to push the people who've been living like drunken sailors aside and show 'em how a pro does it. The first thing you do when you find a sparkling rose for $16.00 that taste like a $80 Billecart Salmon Rose ...is to keep your mouth shut. But I can't help myself --Which is why, when the Gulf Foxtrot reads this, she's gonna go ballistic. We have a stock pile but I don't how long it's gonna last. And that's why I can't tell you what it is but I can give you some clues in that picture up there. Lets see how good and thirsty you are.

The belt is a J. Crew needlepoint with golf flags. I like to think it's nautical but the Crew description was golf flags. My cousin was a Hilton Head golf pro and I wanted to be just like him. I started golf lessons when I was 12. I used rentals until my dad came home with brand new Sam Snead junior clubs. 3,5,7 and 9 irons plus a putter and a wood. No bag. Dad said I didn't need one with so few clubs. I played golf carrying the clubs --three in each hand. This caused some conversation on the course which appears to have found its way back to Dad. A 36 club shaft saver bag in red and black was purchased the next day. I never had a lot of club when I was 12 but I did have a lot of bag.

6 comments:

M.Lane said...

You are going to get a beatdown upon return to home base my friend!

I love the golf club story...those club saver bags were/are a hoot.

Travel well and congratulations on the mention in the NYT!!! Good old Ivy...

ML
mlanesepic.blogspot.com

malcolm said...

i know this is probably a 'duh' to you and other snazzy dressers here, but as a recovering khakis and polo guy, who, now that i am in my late 30s think i am too old to dress nice...nothing looks worse than people trying to dress young.

anyway, long story short, based on these belt posts and such, I ordered some bright regminental type belts from jpress its a cheap easy way to snaz up a dreary wardrobe.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post.

That particular Cava, however, is no challenge to identify. Good stuff.

james at 10engines said...

another string for the bow. excellent...

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

GF reads your blog?

EsseQuamVideri said...

Love your Friday posts.