12 February 2008

The Trad Dog Show


There are people who are nuts about dogs. I'm not one of them. But I do like them. While living in a suburb on the north shore of Chicago I had a Wire Fox Terrier. I loved that dog and have fallen in love with the breed. They rate somewhere in the 400s on the list of 500 dogs by popularity. Good news if you think Golden Retrievers and Labradors are boring.

I bought my Fox from a breeder I met at Westminster 15 years ago. I went back yesterday for the first time since then and noticed two things. People who attend Westminster have the oddest way of dressing and I love dogs more than ever.


One last thing about this great show. It got crowded. In 1992 (when a Wire Fox won Best of Show) I walked the floor and stood inches from the ring for Best of Breed competition. Yesterday, I couldn't get closer than three rows back. The Bench area was worse. Impossible to move through the crush. So, like everything else Trad, it's not as good as it was - - but it's better than it will be.



2 comments:

suzannemarques said...

i'd rather watch best in show!

tintin said...

Amazingly accurate film based on my two visits to Westminster. Thank God there's not a Westminster for cats.